Monday, January 3, 2011

Renewed love

Over the holidays I had a wonderful time playing with my new d-SLR and managed to take well over 500 photos (though I was pretty good at weeding them down as I went, I still have at least 300 left on my computer). And it served the exact purpose that I wanted it to, instant photos that I could share with my family immediately. Everyone went home from the holidays with a usb or laptop full of my photos - since I seemed to be taking so many, everyone else felt less obliged to capture them with their own (which is fine by me). And I really did get some good shots of my family and all the excitement with them (without ever having to reload or scrutinize too much over the shot since I could simply erase any I didn't like and try again).
But I also managed to take 2 1/2 rolls of film (which isn't bad considering how much time I spent with my digital and how much time we spent just lounging about inside and doing nothing particularly photo-worthy). One roll was with my trusty Pentax K1000 and the other with my still experimental Canonet 28. The other half roll is still waiting to be finished in my Olympus Pen F.
The beautiful thing was that as soon as I finished those rolls and got them developed I couldn't wait to see them! And when I did, I spent so much time just looking through them again and again deciding how to post and organize them for my blog... I just couldn't wait to share them! And there my friends... was my renewed love with film. That is why I love those cameras and why I will never abandon them. My digital is wonderful and it serves a very practical purpose (which is also great!)... but my film cameras are completely impracticable and fantastic because of that! The pictures are special, carefully calculated... there is so much more invested in each shot and yet the results are always a surprise!
So for now, since I still can't decide how to organize my next post... I will give you my absolute favourite shot of the whole trip (film & digital alike)... taken with my Pentax K1000 and expired Polaroid 200 film.

My mom & baby niece - Pentax K1000
Love.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful shot. Reading about your love of film and the reasons for it really brightened my day. I know the feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete