Sunday, April 1, 2012

"Portra of North Vancouver"

Up to this point I have not paid too much attention to the type of film that I was using in my camera. I know this seems ridiculous, but honestly I just haven't known enough about different films or developing processes to really understand the differences. I did discover awhile back that I prefer a basic fuji film to kodak - I just found the colour and contrast to be better, but other than that, I'll pop just about anything into my camera and try it out.
On the various photoblogs that I read, I have heard the Kodak Portra name thrown around quite a bit, so when I came across some, I thought I would give it a whirl. I decided to try it in my Olympus Pen F for two reasons - firstly I am very comfortable with the camera and so I felt like I could judge the film better without the variables of using a more unfamiliar camera ; secondly it is a half-frame camera and so out of the 36-frame roll, I could get 72 pictures which would give me more photos to compare (and also get more bang for my buck!).
The results were really interesting. In a lot of pictures the colour seemed to be on par with a regular 400-speed film, but in other pictures the colours were very vibrant or were skewed on the colour scale (more of an overall blue hue for example). These pictures that I took while on an outing in North Vancouver are the most colour skewed and vibrant ones of the roll. I don't know if it was the lighting that day, or just the section of the roll that I was at, or what - but the results are really interesting and almost retro looking.
Over all, I really like the film and might splurge again one day on another roll... maybe for a special vacation or photo op.








All photos taken with my Olympus Pen F and Kodak Portra 400 film.

No comments:

Post a Comment